And so we begin a new year of reading!
Hosted by Sheila at Book Journey.
Pop over to see pictures of many of our fellow bloggers
and see what each person is reading as their First book of 2016!
I have a Ladie's Book Club title that had to be ready for 1/2.
I have 12 titles lined up on NetGalley already for 2016.
I have several challenges I wish to participate in and I have multiple audio titles to enjoy, including one that was gifted by the author and one that was received through Audiobook Jukebox.
I looked at several self-help/fiction type of books and actually purchased one at Audible.
At the beginning of the week I had narrowed my selection to the seven books below. All but The Etymoligicon I already own in one form or another and have on my TBR reading list for 2016:
However, as I contemplated starting the year while buying my last titles at Audible, my mind changed.
- Cinder (The Lunar Chronicles Book 1) by Marissa Meyer (ebook TBR)
- Nation by Terry Pratchett (Audible TBR)
- The Etymologicon: A Circular Stroll Through the Hidden Connections of the English Language by Mark Forsyth
- Cruel Beauty by Rosamund Hodge (Audio SYNC TBR)
- Time Heist: Firstborn Saga Volume 1 by Anthony Vicino (Audible for review)
- Buster: The Military Dog Who Saved a Thousand Lives by RAF Police Flight Sergeant Will Barrow, Isabel George (Audio for review)
- Old Man’s War by Jack Scalzi (Audible TBR)
the Vintage SciFi Not-a-Challenge event hosted by Andrea at Little Red Reviewer.
2016 Sic Fi Experience hosted by Carl at Stainless Steel Droppings.
With those January events in mind, I tossed the idea of doing something in the self-help/fiction mode and went on a hunt for Vintage Sci Fi titles to start the year with some sci fi fun. :-)
Here is what I picked up at Audible on 12/31/15 (two December credits plus $2.07.):
1. To Live Forever by Jack Vance
2. X Minus One: Protective Mimicry (October 3, 1956) by Algis Budrys, Ernest Kinoy - adaptation
3. The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up: The Japanese Art of Decluttering and Organizing by Marie Kondo
4. X Minus One: Cold Equations (August 25, 1955) by Tom Godwin, George Lefferts - adaptation
5. X Minus One: Target One (December 26, 1957) by Frederik Pohl, George Lefferts - adaptation
The three X Minus One titles are vintage sci fi radio broadcast offerings under 30 minutes each so I plan to listen to all three on 1/1/2016 to get a feel for those authors who will be new to me.
Where I go after that...?? Probably the review audio: Time Heist. Then either the Jack Vance title or Old Man's War.
Here is my photo offering for FIRST BOOK OF THE YEAR 2016.
(I couldn't get a good pic of me, my Sansa Clip mp3, and the audio image on tablet so I combined them.)
I am looking forward to seeing the titles others have chosen for their First Book of The Year 2016.