Hi! I hope everyone is doing well this week and didn't get stuck in any snow.
Thank you to all who shared last week.
Well, not too many of us have done 'crazy' things to get a book. Emily and Cheryl did wait in line for Harry Potter books and Jolene made her mom stand in line for a book she wanted. :-) Miki did the most outlandish entering a contest with 5000 comments in 24 hours. I love Mary's book wish list on the refrigerator to remind her kids to buy her books!
I was surprised that most of you do like snow...provided you don't have to drive in it. Many of you commented that snow is pretty (except in the city when it can turn dark and slushy) and fun to play in. Llehn and Abby have never seen snow but they would like to.
The Winner from SBB #85 comments is: #20 Texas Book Lover. There are still 4 'love' books to pick from and new Christmas choices. Texas Book Lover please choose a book (or GC if international) from the fifteen Love Books List for Giveaway, the new Christmas Giveaway Book list, OR pick from the Updated ARC/Review List and let me know your choice, your address and a choice of bookmarks by completing the WINNER FORM.
WEEK #86 Questions
Q1. Margaret asks: Does a bad review scare you away from reading a book or do you read it anyway??
A: I am cautious when reading other reviews as I have certainly learned that I do not share the same taste as all other readers/reviewers. There are some bloggers who I know like similar books so I can trust their judgment most of the time. Others we have divergent tastes so they might like some books I don't and vice versa. But, to be honest, I have know there were times when I noted some ratings of three or less and I have decided not to pick that book for review.
Image found at The Mad Reviewer.
Q2. My Question this week: Do you get a flu shot AND/OR what do you take for a cold??
A: I thought this question might be interesting with all the flu and colds going around. I do not get the flu shot. If my DH reminds me I will take Airborne when I feel a cold coming on. Otherwise I just take mucinex and rotate non-aspirin and ibuprofen and I try to rest up!
Thanks to those who are sending in Questions. DON'T BE SHY! Surely everyone has a Q or two you'd like to ask. Input suggestions in this Suggested Question Form. At the end of each month I draw from the suggestions I used during the month and that person will get a book choice or GC. I thank everyone for submitting questions. Thanks for sending in questions! I STILL HAVE A GROUP OF QUESTIONS AVAILABLE BUT THEY ARE FROM ABOUT FOUR PEOPLE SO SOME OF YOU MAY WANT TO ADD A QUESTION OR TWO! We can always use fresh questions.
Your turn to share:
1. Margaret asks: Does a bad review scare you away from reading a book or do you read it anyway??
2. My Question this week: Do you get a flu shot AND/OR what do you take for a cold??
SBB Comment Winners can choose a selection from the remaining Valentine and "Love" books (new list of fifteen) or the new Christmas Giveaway Books. Also I have added the Updated ARC/Review List now.
a) Must be a follower.
b) Share a comment on any (or all) of the two/three questions above.
Open internationally and an international winner may get a smaller book or a $5.00 GC if I decide the mailing is too much.
I will pick a Comment winner from all comments made by Friday, February 15, 2013 at 10 PM central.
1. It very much depends - eg if a reviewer mentions things that bothered them and I know that those things will be deal breakers for me too, I will most likely not get the book. Still, sometimes I am so curious about a book that come rave or rant I will buy the book anyway.ReplyDelete
2. No flu shot for me. When I feel a cold coming on I stick to Aspirin and getting pampered by Mom in case fever breaks out. ;-)
1) Not necessarily, when i'm interested in a book i will check several reviews and some done by bloggers i discovered share alot with meso i know they won't disappoint me. So a bad review is not decisive for me after all we all have our own opinion and we can love a book and like it less several month or years later like the opposite is true too.
learning about a bad reaction, action from an author will be more important for me though
2) no shot for me even if i should^^;;,( problem you need to be healthy to get it and i can't manage to be well for more than a week at teh moment^^;;) i like a infusion of thym with eventually some honey in it but mostly only the infusion it really helped me
1) Yes to the first question 2) No to the next! just herbal stuff.ReplyDelete
1. I will read people reviews of a book, but I normally make my own judgement of the story. If the story sounds interesting to me I will get it and read it. I have always believed everyone has their own taste and need to make the own decision about something instead of going by what everyone else thinks. Never know when going with everyone else s decision you might miss out on something good.ReplyDelete
2.I never get a flu shot. I just take ibuprofen and over the counter cold/sinus medicine. I also try to get plenty of sleep and try to get plenty of vitamin c in my system.
1. No a bad review does not scare me away from a book. I have read bad reviews on books I love. Everyone has different tastes so I like to make my own decision.ReplyDelete
2. Yes I do get a flu shot because I figure it's better safe than sorry.
1. A bad review will not scare me away from a book I am interested in. Everyone has their own likes, so a bad review does not mean that I myself will not like it.ReplyDelete
2. I get a flu shot. For a cold, I usually tough it out during the day and then take Nyquil before bed.
1. A bad review doesn't necessarily turn me off a book. We don't all have the same "exact" tastes. So if it's an auto buy Author for me or I enjoy the back blurb I'm still going to give it a try.But if it's panned by 50% of readers and the blurb doesn't excite me, then I may pass.
2.I got the Flu shot once and that was last year. Unfortunately I got the Flu two days later. :) I figured I've gone this long without one so why bother. But this year I just got over the Flu again so I'm going to have to wait. I usually drink lots of liquids during this time and also with the ibuprofen. Lots of Vitamin C.
Lucky4750 (at) aol (dot) com
Does a bad review scare you away from reading a book or do you read it anyway?? - Not really - quite often you see conflicting reviews, so often it's a matter of taste. And if it's a favorite author won't deter me, tho I may agree with the review after the read (that just happened today - read a bad review of a book I read by a favorite author, agreed with it to a point, but will still continue to read that author.ReplyDelete
2. Do you get a flu shot AND/OR what do you take for a cold?? Nope, haven't gotten one in many years. When I get stuffy I take Nyquil or Sudafed, drink tea, have chicken soup
1. depends on what the review said about the plotReplyDelete
2. chicken soup
1. Sometimes bad reviews encourage me not to read a book, but I'll usually read a few reviews and the book summary, as well as the first chapter...if it's available on Amazon. :)ReplyDelete
2. No flu shots. I'll visit the pharmacy for recommendations on what to take for a cold.
1. If there's something in the review that mentions a deal breaker for me I might avoid the book.ReplyDelete
2. Got the flu shot early. If I am sick I take NyQuil.
I am not too concerned about bad reviews. It depends on what they are negative about. But, usually if the book sounds good, I will read it anyway.ReplyDelete
I can't take flu shots due to allergy to egg whites. If I could, I would take them and I do recommend them to others. I take some homeopathic stuff for colds. I use hot honey and lemon to drink and honey as a cough suppressant due to allergies to things in cough syrups. For the most part I stay well.
lkish77123 at gmail dot com
1. It depends upon the book. If I had decided to read it BEFORE I read the bad review then I will read it anyway. If I go in with just the bad review, then I may pass on it.ReplyDelete
2. The flu shot always makes me ill. So, I have not had one in years. When I am unwell I just crawl into bed & try to rest & keep my fluids ups up. Tea always helps.
I read bad and good reviews of the book. I don't get scared with bad reviews. Some books that people get crazy about them and loved them, are not for me.ReplyDelete
Flu.. I don't like injections. I just rest when I'm sick, take maybe a tea or a chocolate. For me, rest is the best for it.
When reading negative reviews, I look for WHY the reader disliked it. If there are valid reasons, or their reasons are also pet peeves of mine, then I will probably avoid the book. If they simply say that the book sucked, I will probably avoid book reviews by that person.ReplyDelete
I do get my flu shot every year, and the 5 year pneumonia vaccine. I am one of those folks who is in the high risk category even tho I am only in my 30s. I had pneumonia 3 years ago and it sucked. I expect I don't need to qualify that, as I would in a negative book review ;)
It kinda depends on what the reviewer said & also the rest of the comments from other reviewers.ReplyDelete
I don't do much for a cold. Just let it run it's course & try to get more rest. Mine usually goes away after a few days.
I generally don't let negative reviews turn me completely from a book, I do look at the reasons why they did not like the book and generally get the sample from Amazon to read before investing in it though.ReplyDelete
As for flu shots, I do get one every year because I do have some health problems, including have asthma that is worsened by allergies & being sick. And since I have to go to the doctor often, I take ever precaution I can. And I did have a pneumonia shot a few years back after having pneumonia.
1. I usually will still read the book.ReplyDelete
2. I don't get a shot. I usually just take over the counter medicine and rest.
1. Actually, bad reviews help me decide whether or not to read a book. I love bad reviews that go into details about what they didn't like, because then it helps me know if I'd like the book or not. Like, if someone dislikes m/m and gives a book a bad review for it, I like m/m so that would make me want to read the book more, especially if the blurb wasn't clear about containing it. Likewise, I've read blurbs that sounded awesome, but once I read the bad reviews, I realized I would have hated the book, so it saves me the time and money. Negative criticism can be extremely valuable to a reader and a writer.ReplyDelete
2. No, I don't get a flu shot, though I was thinking of doing so. And I usually take whatever I have available for a cold.
Thanks so much!ReplyDelete
1. Bad reviews don't scare me unless every review is bad. Everyone has a difference of opinion and I don't expect everyone to like the same books.
2. I usually try to get my flu shot but only end up getting it about once every other year.
1. I read a book regardless if it's one of my fave authors. I don't usually let reviews sway me.ReplyDelete
2. I get the flu shot yearly. We had a really bad epidemic at my work and no one who got the flu shot got sick.
1. If the review goes into specifics then yes, otherwise, if it's more of a "this book sucked" then no.ReplyDelete
2. I usually only take Panadol Cold for it.
1. I know reviews can be subjective so I like to read reviews carefully. If I read too many bad reviews about one book, I might take caution or bump that book to the bottom of my TBR/wishlist.ReplyDelete
2. Err...sleep and medicines? I don't get shots though. Hate those needles!
I am not put off my bad reviews. I understand that some books are not for everyone and people have different tastes. I lent a book to my brother in law that I just thought was ok, not great but ok. I was surprised when he raved about how amazing it was. I still tell others to read it because I know that just because it wasn't for me, other people have really enjoyed it. Usually, if I am intrigued with a book and I think it sounds like something I like, bad reviews wont deter me. I've already got it in my head and am already curious to see how it plays out and bad reviews can sometimes make me want to read something more, just for the fact that I want to see where my opinion will lay.ReplyDelete
I didn't get a flu shot this year but I usually bump up my Vitamin C and drink lots of water and try to rest if I get sick